Annette's Other Blogs

Thursday, June 4, 2009

More ABC Fun


The picnic talk over at ABC and 123 today is the alphabet. Meghan knows a lot of her letters and can say them too. She is not capable of singing the ABC song (or any other song) at this point, but she likes it when I sing it for her.

For those of you new to us, Meghan has a speech disorder. To encourage speech and learn letters, we are creating an ABC Sound Book. She can read each picture word on each page since it is based on her vocabulary.

Our ABC Sound Book is near completion. A while back I said I probably would not share any more pages, but here are all of the pages, though it is not complete. We have a few more pictures to glue down, but not many.

Initially we worked on just one letter at a time, based on words that Meghan could say. I used Google Images and our own photos of special people to glue on each page.

Once we had completed the letters with a lot of word pictures, I decided it would be fun to glue the rest of the letters on paper all at once. I think Meghan enjoyed this, too! (Since then she loves to point out X. She also crosses her arms to make an X when she says it.)

We will NOT use construction paper for our next ABC book's pages! This book is over an inch thick. I never considered that it would deplete my supply of paper. (Did you notice that there is a lot of red and green paper? We were given a lot of those colors, but even that is really low.)

Now I need suggestions as to how to hold these pages together so that Meghan can read her book whenever she wants. (Since they aren't bound, I keep the pages together in a cupboard.) What are your suggestions?
Go over to ABC and 123 for alphabet ideas for all ages!

12 comments:

Bran said...

They have these book rings that are great to hold books together. You can find them in the school supply section at most stores.

Crystal said...

Fun book. I love that you are adding pictures that are already in her vocabulary. I was also going to suggest book rings or you can you a hole punch and yarn.

Miller Moments said...

That is really cool! I agree with the above suggestions. You can always put them in sleeves too so that they are protected.

Jenny said...

You could have it bound at an office type store.

Katie said...

Fun letter book pages. What if you put them in plastic protector sleeves, like the kind you use for documents, and put them in a 3 ring binder? It might require some trimming to size...

Anonymous said...

I agree with the three ring binder idea. That's how I did the cookbooks for our church.

Jenny said...

My now 8 yr. old son couldn't speak at all when he was 2...really, he was 4 before he could speak completely in full sentences. With all the extra help he had in speech, etc. - it was amazing how much quicker he learned his alphabet and sounds, etc. I think what helped him the most was the Alphabet Sounds song on the Sounds Like Fun CD. My 2 year old loves it now, too.

Anonymous said...

Your sound idea is a great way to introduce ABC to a child who cannot speak well yet. I hope that Meghan will continue to improve with the specialists' support and your love. I agree with the rest - my first thought was a three-ring binder, but you could also put each sheet into an accordion file folder and label each folder with the letters of the alphabet.

Diana said...

What a fun book! I looking at other comments, I agree that using page protectors in a binder, or page protectors bound with some yarn are good ideas.

MaryAnne said...

I love the idea of an ABC sound book! I would probably use page protectors, I think you'd have to trim the pages to fit though as construction paper tends to be a bit larger than
8.5"x11".

My kids are 17months and 3.5 years, to answer your question on my blog :)

ONe PiNK FiSH said...

I love this idea. You could go to a local school and see if you could use their binding machine. Offer to pay a dollar for the binding and ask someone to show you how to use it. It would be bound like a spiral notebook.

You could also glue each letter onto a piece or two of posterboard just like the layout in you picture. You could hang this newly made poster at your daughters height. If you covered the poster in contact paper or got it laminated then it would last forever.

The added bonus... your daughter can trace the letterw hile standing making her cross the midline of the body. This increase motor skills as well as places the letter into a specifc part of the memory with repeated practice.

Hope this helped.

Katie said...

I wonder if it would be very expensive to take them to a copy store and get them bound together. You might want to check out that option. I've found that using binder rings with unlaminated pages can result in torn pages very quickly if little hands are reading the book a lot.