Annette's Other Blogs

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Milking the Cow

Today we joined our local MOMS Club for a day at a local berry farm to pick strawberries. It was my first time berry picking and my first visit to this farm. We took a tour of the farm, which was well worth it!

Meghan milked a cow. It worked just like a real one. (I have done my share of milking from my days of living on a farm.) The trip was worth it just for that! If you look closely you can see the stream of water. (Okay, maybe it wasn't JUST like a real cow).
We took a hayride to the strawberry fields. It was unlike any other hayride I have been on because they spread the straw loosely on the wagon. Yuck in shorts! I wish they would just call it a wagon ride and leave the straw behind since there isn't room for bales on the wagon. Evan fell asleep on the ride. (I had to borrow a stroller from a friend! Can you believe I didn't check the trunk?!)
This was a really cool, really HUGE slide. There was a ladder up to the giant strawberry where the children could play inside. Then they climbed another ladder to get to the slide! I didn't go inside, but other moms did. Meghan loved the giant slide.
Meghan likes tractors of all kinds. There was a lot more at the playground, but I don't want to bore you too much. Go! Go! Go!
Before we picked berries, we also played in an open building and pet some farm animals. In another building they had it set up almost like a hands on museum, but farm style. Very neat! Meghan's favorite was the rock display.
Finally! We picked strawberries! As part of the tour we were given a sandwich sized baggie to fill! Meghan picked a ton to eat. She didn't quite understand not to eat the stems, so she would just spit them out.
Her shirt is still quite clean here, so this was early on. (I knew to dress her in clothes that could get dirty and stained.)

It was a really fun day. (Until it was time to leave...it was past nap time and Meghan doesn't do well with good-byes on a regular day.) Thankfully the other ladies helped keep an eye on Meghan during the tour. She's quite the runner. I think she's really starting to mature. Last summer a trip like this would have been a nightmare for me. She did pretty well today though. The tour guide quickly learned her name. Another mom commented that she doesn't stop and keeps me on my toes. Yep. That's my girl. But really, it was a lot of fun. I look forward to returning next year!

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Awww, she really is a sweetie! =:D She is just too cute milking that "cow"! Lol! Thanks for sharing your fun day with us!

Blessings in Christ!
~Rachel~

***Sharon*** said...

What a super fun place to visit! I know my girls would have a blast!

Christy Killoran said...

That looks like so much fun. I love the slide. We have one of those "cows" at our local zoo, and my kids love "milking" it.

Emily said...

Glad to hear you made the pizza dough recipe, let me know what you think.

As far as measuring flour goes, everyone scoops differently. I personally am a very light scooper so every recipe I get from someone else I end up adding just a little more. My neighbor is a very heavy scooper and always needs to add less flour than a recipe calls for. Because everyone is so different with measuring, it's nice to weigh flour to get it exact.

The pizza recipe calls for 16 oz. of flour which in a perfect world would be 3 cups of flour. You were right to do it by touch, the dough should be slightly sticky just like a bread dough.

I'm sure you will love the end result tonight. Enjoy! Emily

Crystal said...

That farm looks like so much fun. I love the picture of her in the tractor. Your kids are so cute.

Anonymous said...

Love It!

I can't wait to pick strawberries up here. They should be ready soon.

Did you get your hair cut or is it just pulled back?

I am hoping to post our weekend pictures soon :)