Annette's Other Blogs

Friday, June 19, 2009

Speech Update

Meghan has made such incredible progress in her speech. Amazingly, her vocabulary is now a decent size (though not easily understood without context clues). Meghan even talks throughout the day without prompting, though she doesn't string words together to form sentences much.
If I think about it, probably the phrase I hear the most is, "No no, Evie." If Evan touches the wrong toy, talks at all, fusses, or cries she tells him no. Meghan is happy to give toys to Evan...but only the "baby" toys...not toys she likes to use!
We really struggle to understand her. The other day she woke up warm from a nap. She kept saying, "bath" but I had no idea what she wanted for over a minute. On another occasion, we were having dinner. Set out for Meghan was a small bowl of macaroni and cheese to eat when her green beans were gone. She ate the beans. She told us, "cheese, cheese" but Derek didn't understand her though she repeated it over and over. (In this particular instance I did know what she was saying.) Several times a day she communicates with us, and we just can't understand her. I have an advantage with being with her all day and all night, but it's still hard.

At this point I thought we might be working on articulation in therapy, but her SLP has explained to me that more damage could be done by trying to do this too early. She expects that when Meghan is three years old and with a new therapist through the Intermediate Unit (instead of Early Intervention) they will begin to work on clarity of speech.

Speaking of turning three, we still have hope that she will be in the developmental preschool. It's a scared hope for me. I do think that would be best for her, but it will be hard for all of us. Very hard. I guess I really didn't expect for her to need to be there four days a week, but if they recommend it, that is what is most effective. At least it isn't all day. Of course we don't know if the IU will even think she needs to be there, and it is totally up to them. Honestly, I just try not to think about it. I can't plan for it because we just don't know. That's the hardest part (for now), I guess.

If Meghan does not go to the developmental preschool, we will keep her at home. :)

Meghan is 2 1/2. We sing and read daily. She knows nursery rhymes. She can't say them, but if I say them, she'll fill in the blank for me. Here is an example. (All capitals are what she says when I pause.)

Twinkle, twinkle little STAR. How I wonder what you ARE. Up above the world so HIGH. Like a diamond in the SKY. Twinkle, twinkle little STAR. How I wonder what you ARE.
We can do something similar with a couple of books, especially nursery rhyme books and a few others that are repetitive. It's a start. Some day she'll sing with us! (And I can guarantee she'll sound better than me!)

She's also counting to ten (not consistently) which is an academic and speech accomplishment. She still likes to skip one! Oh well.

We're thankful for the progress. Thank you for caring!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will keep my fingers crossed that Meghan's speech will continue to improve. It must be very frustrating for everyone involved, when she tries to communicate and is not understood.

Anonymous said...

I am glad she is making. My mom said she was reading your blog last night (she says she doesn't know how to leave comments) and saw where you were writing about Meghan's speech issue. She said she remembers that you didn't talk at all until you were 3..isn't that interesting?
Niyah and Nater are both behind in speech for their age.
I'm sure they all will improve with time.

Love to you guys!

Crystal said...

Its great to hear she is doing so well. Aubrey was behind in her speech by quite a bit (probably is still) and it can be quite frustrating. I really enjoy your blog and the activities you do with Meghan...they are so fun and give me great ideas.

Miller Moments said...

I'm so glad that she is making progress and doing well. When we were going through our journey with our son and his hearing and involved in early intervention it was always so scary to look into the future and wonder what the next step would be. I think it's good not to think about it too much and just take one day at a time. It sounds like you are doing a great job with her!

The girl who painted trees said...

I'm so glad that Meghan is making progress. She seems like a bright and intelligent girl and very sweet and loving to boot. What a blessing to you and your husband:)

Alicia said...

It sounds like Meghan is working so hard & doing well with her speech. Her and Emily sound very much alike. Emily is in preschool & loves it. I had my worries about it as well but now I feel like it is so very important.

Right now Emily has about 50 intelligible words. She uses signs when she is unable to get out what she wants to say. I think that her learning the signs have really helped lessen the frustration! I totally understand how hard it is to have your child trying so hard to tell you something & you just don't know what she is saying. It breaks my heart to see the look in her eyes.
We are truly blessed!