Annette's Other Blogs

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Speech Transition Meeting

Before I tell you about the meeting, I have to share something. Our neighbor watched Meghan and Evan today during the meeting. (I was gone for about three hours!) Her youngest son is three and is becoming a good friend of Meghan's. Today he came up to his mom and said, "Meghan can talk now!" They first met in January. She has come leaps and bounds since then. Speech may not be too important to a three year old, but it is noticed!

We had our transition meeting today for Meghan's speech. Right now services are provided by the county's Early Intervention program. When she turns 3 in October services are provided by the PA Department of Education/local schools through the Intermediate Unit (IU). It will be a whole new ball game. One that I don't feel ready for, but more prepared after this meeting. All of Meghan's current therapists/teacher will no longer work with her.

For several months I have been trying to find out exactly when we will know what services (if any, though doubtful she would make that much progress to not need any) will be provided when she turns three. I have made numerous calls, including to the IU, but all I was ever told was that the evaluation won't happen until close to her birthday.

Today I got a timeline! Funny how no one else could give it to me over the telephone. (ugh)

About two months before Meghan's third birthday she will be evaluated. It's possible that they will know during that eval what they might recommend for Meghan. (For example, she might need speech therapy, but not occupational therapy based on their criteria. They even recommend the developmental preschool program, but they may not.) They might need to do some calculating and get back to us later in the report though.

Three to four weeks before her birthday we will get the written evaluation report. In this report will be recommendations. Then two to three weeks before Meghan's birthday we will have an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) meeting at our home.

Services would begin on her birthday. There is supposed to be no gap between EI and IU services.

Something important that I learned today is that the IU does provide services in the home, but not for speech therapy! If Meghan does need services, but does not go to the preschool, we would need to take her to a local school for therapy. That will not be easy with Evan in tow.

Another important change is the focus of therapy. Currently, her therapists' goals are to teach us how to better help Meghan produce speech. Derek and I are an important part of her speech therapy. They give us techniques and ways of working with Meghan to produce speech. Through the IU, they communicate with us, but really their goal is to work with the specific child.

The developmental preschool actually has a speech and language classroom. It meets Monday through Thursday from 8:30-11:15 year round, with a couple of week long breaks. IF they recommend the preschool, they recommend the child go every day. Wow. That's something to think about, huh? I was not given a specific address, but it looks like the preschool will be less than a half hour from our home.

So now we wait. Now we pray (not that we haven't been). It's hard not knowing what the fall will bring, but God knows. That's enough.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Waiting is hard. I will keep praying for Meghan. Hopefully the transition is an easy one.
It's great when someone else notices the progress too.
I have noticed Nater is saying many more three word sentences too.

Miller Moments said...

So much of what you have written is familiar to me. Eli was in early intervention from birth until age 2. There are so many hoops to jump through when you have a child in the system. But at the same time, I'm thankful that they have those services for our children. You have a lot ahead of you and I pray that all the parties involved will communicate clearly and on time so that you are well informed and feel a peace about things.

Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice said...

Oh my gosh! That's frustrating. I think it's not good to make her start completely over with new therapists etc. You'd think they could provide a transition program.
I do think it's wonderful though that she has made some tremendous progress!

Christy Killoran said...

Waiting is tough but at least you have some more information now. It's so frustrating when you can't get answers, especially when it is something to help your child. I am so happy to hear about Meghan's progress.

evanwick said...

Oh wow, so much to absorb. It's so good that you are making plans and are so involved. I can see just from your blog how far she's come. I know I spent the better part of last year stressing about Rosie's late birthday, whether I should get her into some sort of K-4 this fall, (even our perfect plan fell through) etc etc..and one day it just felt like no matter what, it will fall into place.
Good luck!!

Laura

Jules said...

Hi! We will be praying for God's will and wisdom. We went through very similar things with Olivia. And I have not regretted putting her in preschool this year for one second - she was even younger than Meghan will be when she started! It was great for socialization, therapy, confidence, and I could go on and on. She only went 2 days, but could see where a child would benefit from 4 mornings. Hang in there. When the time comes, you will know what to do. If you have any questions - don't hesitate to ask. Love ya!