Annette's Other Blogs

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Busy

We've had a busy week that started with the weekend. We attended a late wedding Saturday night that left us extremely tired on Sunday. I like to schedule some posts on the weekend, and that just didn't happen. A nap was priority!

We had a quiet Father's Day. Last week Meghan made SIX of these toolbox cards! Meghan and Evan are blessed with two great grandfathers, three grandfathers, and a daddy.
Evan is officially crawling. He's been dragging himself around for a couple of weeks, but now Evan is fast, though it's still an Army crawl. The protective blanket (for the spit up) is almost useless. Yesterday he made his way from the living room to the kitchen area where Lucy's bowl is kept. We've now moved it out of sight. Maybe the kitchen won't be so exciting to Evan with a bowl of Lucy's food to entice him.
Last week he removed one of our doorstops to eat it. While it was not digested, he certainly had fun with it. When the noise stopped, I was immediately concerned. Our doorstops are the springy type. They make a really cool sound when swatted. It didn't take Evan long to find the doorstops once he was rolling. He hasn't forgotten the joy and laughter the doorstops bring.
We also have had a lot of rain recently. Apparently ants often seek shelter inside when there is that much rain. Our yard has a ton of ant hills, and now we have some ants inside our home. Our neighbors also have ants which does make me feel a little better. Now that the sun is out, we're only seeing one or two ants a day, but where there is one, you know there is more!
I have been trying to be a much better house cleaner, especially in the kitchen. The floors are being swept often and mopped multiple times a week with vinegar. I'm cleaning the counters and table with window cleaner instead of soap and water. The ants are making me have a clean kitchen before I go to bed at night. It's good to do, but quite time consuming!
We're really trying to not eat in the living room, but that is one hard habit to break! We eat breakfast and dinner at the table, and Meghan eats lunch at the table, but lunch for adults is usually in the living room. I often find myself sitting on the loveseat to eat my lunch, only to realize I need to go to the kitchen. OOPS! Meghan is doing a great job keeping her sippy cups in the kitchen with just little reminders.
With all of that said, Derek and I are looking into having something done about the ants. I don't like to mess with God's creation, but at this point, they're in our home.
Softball is well under way for Derek too. Games are two nights a week. Thankfully he still has a quick dinner with us before heading out.
With all of the rain last week, our garden has a ton of weeds. Thankfully the corn and green beans are growing nicely. The watermelon and cantaloupe....well, I'm not sure what to expect there, but I thought they would be more vine-like. Recently Derek planted some lettuce and carrots. They haven't sprouted yet, unless I weeded them!
Now it's almost time for therapy. Then I'll chase Evan when he gets up and play a game of "chase" with Meghan! Whew!

4 comments:

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

These cards look really cute! Meghan has done a good job. Sorry about the ants, but maybe it will help you get the house more in order. We are a little order-obsessed here (German influence :)), and we always eat in the kitchen. It was a little hard to enforce early on, but now I am so happy that we did. Good luck trying.

Oh, and by the way, thanks for the comment on my blog. Anna has lost interest in the scooter, but not in pooping on the potty. I promised her a scooter once she fills out her poop chart by going on the toilet successfully 7 times. She did (and continues to go on the toilet now), but she said that she doesn't want a scooter just now, only when she is "a little bit older". I feel a little guilty that we didn't get her a promised present, but it's her decision not to go for it.

Karen S. said...

The toolbox cards are adorable! Emily did the Army low-crawl also~it was hilarious to watch. Maybe this is genetic?! We had an ant problem one summer when we lived in Maryland. We tried everything we heard, read about, etc. My kitchen was spotless. The ants still kept coming and it was driving us crazy. We finally broke down and called an exterminator. It was one of the best things we did! The ants disappeared and never bothered us again. I hope you find a solution soon!

Anonymous said...

A spotless kitchen won't deter the ants much as they really aren't hunting food as much as they are looking for a dry space. We get them every spring when we have the heavy rains. A product available here caller "Terro" is available for use around the outside of the house and it seems to help. It comes in several different forms you might want to check on it.
Love following your blog and "watching" Meghan and Evan grow.
Aunty from Arkansas

Mozi Esme said...

Those toolbox cards are so creative!

And way to go, Evan, on the crawling thing!

We've been dealing with ants, too. If nowhere else, they invade the trash can (and cover the floor to get there)...