Annette's Other Blogs

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Freight Train by Meghan (and Donald Crews)



We made a paper freight train based on the wonderful book by Donald Crews. We used the book to help us know which car/color would come next. I had the cars precut into the appropriate shape. I also had the track drawn on the paper ahead of time.




Meghan really enjoyed telling me which color would come next with almost no prompting.




This is Meghan waiting for me to get the black paint for the wheels.


She chose to use crayons for the smoke. She was so precise with where it went. This was our second train, so I didn't tell her where to put it. She knew.



The wheels are made with her little fingerprints. Yes, the yellow hopper car is upside down.



This is quite large. I thought two inch wide cars would be a good size. It wasn't until after I had cut them out and was placing them on the paper that I realized that there was no room for the black tender! An inch would have been large enough!




For another similar, yet different Freight Train project, visit my friend Jennifer at My Two Happy Homeschoolers!



Sometimes I wonder if I am trying to do too much with Meghan, but she really enjoys paper crafts! We had a lot of fun completing this project, and when we were done she wanted more. Tomorrow you can see a "train" she made without any help from me!





7 comments:

Christy Killoran said...

So cute. Nice job Meghan!

Anonymous said...

We have that book too. Very cute train!

I ended up not doing the french dip last night. I didn't plan my crock pot time accordingly. So, it's on the menu for tonight instead :)

Rachel said...

Aww, Great job Meghan! Yeah! She is such a sweetie! It's great when you can see how kids are progressing. =:)

Blessings!
~Rachel~

The girl who painted trees said...

Cute train:) Bear loves this book!

Unknown said...

The concern is not if you are doing too much with Meghan. The concern is when Meghan reaches school age will she have already done everything and beyond what they are doing in school and consequently be bored.

Unknown said...

That is too cute! We did something similar with the same book...not sure if you were thinking of this project or not??
http://mytwohappyhomeschoolers.blogspot.com/2009/05/contact-paper-train.html

Either way, yours is totally cute; makes me want to do the project again. ;)

Katie said...

Very cute Annette, and don't worry about doing too much with her. You'll know if you're pushing too far, in the form of a tantrum I'm sure! I think it's all fun for them at this stage, they get to interact with Mommy - which they love and if some learning happens along the way all the better. That's what I figure:)