Last night Evan started babbling! He has always made throaty sounds and been fairly vocal. At the dinner table last night he started saying dadada and varied it a bit too.
Probably only those parents with a child like Meghan can understand how precious those sounds are. Meghan never made throaty sounds. She never said dada or baba or mama until this year (well past age 2), and it was not babbling, but only when prompted by us or Ashley, her SLP.
When everyone said she would talk in her time and she was normal, I often questioned it, but I didn't realize just how different she was from other infants and toddlers. I am so thankful that I pursued therapy for Meghan and never stopped being concerned. I am also thankful that I didn't truly worry about her as an infant since therapy services wouldn't have helped get her services. (I am guessing that, but my understanding/experience is that services are pretty hard to obtain for younger children who are social since they often show good receptive/understanding skills. Since I was already working with her so much, she didn't qualify for speech therapy at age 15 months.)
When Evan was just a few weeks old we were amazed at the sweet noises that he made. Eventually he started making raspberry sounds that amazed us again. And now he is progressing even more.
Oh, communication is so wonderful!
Pioneer History Perspectives
-
In *The Laura Ingalls Wilder Companion: A Chapter-by-Chapter Guide*, I
remind readers that the Little House books share just one family's story as
pioneers...
4 years ago
4 comments:
I think Dada were my kids first word too.
I think we take speech for granted until it is affected somehow.
I am glad Meghan is doing so well now.
I'm so happy that Evan seems to be doing well with his speech development! Isn't it amazing how much we take for granted?
It is so true that we tend to take things like communication for granted. I have been fortunate that all three of my children were early talkers and had no problems with speech. Honestly, I cannot even imagine how difficult it must be at times but you seem to handle it really well and Meghan is so lucky to have a Mom like you that works hard to help her communicate. Evan's sounds and babbling must be music to your ears!
Yea, Evan! To answer your question, there is even a more elaborate doll house at Michaels for about $30. It is unfinished. It would so fun to get it and let the kids paint it themselves and create furniture out of found objects. I think we might get it for Christmas.
Post a Comment