Annette's Other Blogs

Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Bit of This and That


Wednesday evening I left my family for a few hours to get together with our local MOMS Club. It was pretty sweet to say good-bye to three happy people enjoying each other (despite the usual clutter).

(We are still using the blanket to protect the floor. Evan is spitting up less, but it still happens several times a day. His drool is nonstop.)

Tuesday afternoon and all evening we had thunderstorms. When it hailed I couldn't believe the sound, until I saw how large the hail was. It's hard to tell perspective in this picture, but that was close to golf ball size, and it had melted a bit. Some of the hail was most definitely golf ball size!
































I shared with you how the cows came to visit here. Yesterday there were new hoof prints in the garden, but nothing was damaged this time. Later, I found out they visited our neighbor across the road...and were close to their cars!

Since the heifers were still out, I stopped by the Amish farm to let them know. They certainly don't like it either. This time I didn't visit for long, but they sent me home with a bag of peas!

This morning (4 AM) when I couldn't sleep, I sat in a refreshingly quiet kitchen and removed the pods. Later today I will blanch and freeze them. It took me an hour to do it. For all that work I probably have 1 1/2 pounds of peas!

I did leave a few pods unopened for Meghan. She's actually the only one in our home that eats peas, but soon Evan will join her. I will try these fresh peas, but know better than to try to serve them with dinner.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nick shares the same opinion of peas as you. :)

It was nice that you could get away for a little bit.

Nick took our crew up to his Mom's last night so I could do some sewing. I finished another dress for Niyah. I am going to have a dozen projects to show by the time my camera is functioning again. :)

Rachel said...

Hi Mrs. Whipple! Wow! Golf ball size huh? I am glad the hail and the cows haven't messed up your garden any! =:)

What do you have planted? We have cabbage, peppers, tomatoes, 1 squash and 1 zucchini, some dill, parsley, and Italian oregano, and some marigolds that are supposed to keep bugs off the cabbage. (not sure if it really worked or not, but it's pretty!). =;)

Wow! That's a lot of peas! It's nice when neighbors can share and be so, well, neighborly! =:D

Blessings!
~Rachel Phillips~

Miller Moments said...

Fresh peas-how fun! I'm the only one in our house that will eat peas, unless I hide them in soup or something. :)

~Sandy said...

Just wanted to tell you that I was thinking of you today. I left you an award over at my blog. I really enjoy your blog. It always makes me smile:)
Hugs, Sandy

Unknown said...

Stopping by on a recommendation from Sandy...your children are beautiful!!