Annette's Other Blogs

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Brown Bear Eye Spy Bottle

Here is another Brown Bear, Brown Bear activity. We used this site for the template for the pictures. You can go there for the directions. It's kind of neat because the animals are all the same color as they are in the book, so Meghan is used to the match-ups.
I have seen these called "I Spy" and "Eye Spy." I prefer the "I" but the title of the game used "Eye." Maybe someone can clarify for me.
I had been wanting to do this for a long time, but did not have a hot glue gun until recently.
Meghan loves the book; however, she doesn't seem to be so fond of this game. She played it with me for a bit, but hasn't shown real interest in it on her own. Evan likes the bottle though.
This is just a regular, cheap water bottle. It is really weak. If it was getting a lot of physical abuse from Meghan, it probably wouldn't last too long.
I can say that Meghan enjoyed making the bottle with me. The rice was fun. She told me what each animal was and the color before placing them in the bottle. I will warn you that if you are having a toddler put the pictures in the bottle, you might want to count them to be certain all the critters make it into the bottle before using hot glue on the lid. Our white dog didn't make it into the bottle.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Meghan would like something like this?....
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=21835305&ref=sr_gallery_14&&ga_search_query=eye+spy+bag&ga_search_type=all&ga_page=&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

It would be easy to manipulate, and the textue of the rice through the bag would feel neat too.
I have been longing to make some for car trips, but never seem to remember to grab the vinyl when I am at Walmart.

I think the water bottle idea is cute. Nater would probably be spending the entire "spy" time trying to figure out how to open it. :)

Anonymous said...

Nice bottle. I've seen another interesting variation of this at http://growinginpeace.wordpress.com/2009/05/29/i-spy-bottle/. However, I figured that my 2.7 year old will not find it amusing to hold the bottle without the chance to get to the objects inside, so I will not spend my time making one. I wish I saw this craft when she was still a baby - we had a few rice containers for her to use as shakers. That's probably why Evan likes it more than Meghan.
I really liked your rainbow craft. We just got finger paints for Anna - maybe I'll try that in the afternoon outside :)

Katie from ABC&123: A Learning Cooperative said...

Oh Annette I love it! I love how it's tied into a favorite book! Have you see Her Cup Overfloweth's version? She has a suggestion for the bottle type.

Katie from Katie's Nesting Spot

PS: How on earth did you manage without a hot glue gun for so long!